What am I trying to fix? What are businesses or consumers having problems with? What is the pain point I’m resolving? How am I making the lives of my users easier or better? What will my product/service do for the customer that isn’t currently being done?
Lesson: What are you passionate about that you could start a business around and not want to stop three weeks in? Take an inventory around the space/industry that you are thinking of and begin to research on online forums like reddit, quora, facebook and simple google terms around the industry.
You are looking for a quantifiable number to track.
Example. Waiting in line at Starbucks or needing lunch, but don’t have time to get out of the office. (Carry Norfolk)
Example 2: Not a web developer but need to change website opt-in pages. (LeadPages)
- Research what the problem is.
- Pinpoint a small selection of these painpoints.
- Start a spreadsheet that says, the industry, keywords, pain points
- Rank the pain points
- Recognize what pain points you’re alleviating.
- Educate yourself in the industry.
- When, how, where consumers purchase?
- How are consumers currently solving this problem?
- How can these things be improved/simplified?